Communication across the globe is easier than ever before. Social media networks encourage interaction between businesses and customers in new ways each day. With this free flow of communication comes certain responsibilities, one being: responding to both positive and negative feedback in a way that represents the brand, while trying to better the consumer experience.
A few simple rules should be followed when interacting with customers online:
- Time is of the Essence: Social media and online interactions happen in real time, with millions of people having access to view comments left by users. For comments that require a response, be sure the reply is posted in a timely manner. The commenter and everyone else is watching.
- Be Aware of Your Surrounding: Social media content is public; hence actions there are representative of the brand just as much as commercials or your website.
- Avoid Automated Responses: Templates and automated messages make customers feel distanced from the business, defeating the purpose of social media, to engage businesses with their customers. Respond on case by case basis, personalizing the response to the original comment while maintaining your desired level of professionalism.
- Keep it Short: The attention span of a social media networker is short, meaning your message needs to be as well. Be succinct and to the point.
- Thank the Customer: Whether the feedback is positive or negative, it is important that the customer be thanked for taking the time to interact with the company.
- Solve Problems: Often times, feedback will point out a problem – it is then your obligation to produce a solution which solves said problem.
- And remember…the customer is always right.
Taking the steps to ensure your brand image is being improved, rather than damaged, with your social media presence will help to build a community of loyal fans, friends and customers.
Social media is an important tool for any business, and is part of the much larger Search Engine Optimization process. Fasturtle offers Search Engine Optimization packages for any size business. Contact Fasturtle today to learn more about our social media management and other digital marketing services.