A number of considerations need to be made in regards to the creation and layout of a website. Web design is not easy and poor design will have visitors clicking the close button without giving it a second chance. Rarely do people understand that more factors contribute to making people want to leave your web page, such as:
- Bad Navigation: Poor navigation annoys even the most experienced web users. Navigation links should all be clearly labeled and grouped in the same area. Scattering links across a web page and in the middle of text forces the visitor to spend extra time closely analyzing the site, time that visitors are not willing to spend, resulting in the user leaving the page.
- Excessive Ads: Ads should never be the first thing a visitor sees on your site. The Google algorithm will assess doing so with a negative score, working against your SEO efforts. Ads that pop up, flash or take up large areas are distracting and annoy your site visitors.
- Bad Content Structure: Group similar content by theme. It is estimated that up to 50% of online sales are lost because visitors could not find the information they had been searching for.
- Invasive Audio/Video: Video or music to start playing automatically upon visiting a site can seem overly invasive and alienate potential customers, damaging your online traffic.
- Forced Registration: Requiring users register on your website before they can view any useful content will cause the majority of users to exit the page and search for the information elsewhere.
Although some of these methods seem like great ways to attract new customers, generate additional revenue or grow your contact list, the negatives of each method far outweigh the positive. When selecting a web designer, be sure that they have both design and interactive marketing experience. This will ensure that your web presence aligns with your overall brand strategy. Fasturtle has over 12 years of experience building small and medium sized business websites, working to align each site with the unique needs of the client. Call Fasturtle today at (888) 468-8785 or contact us online to learn more about our wed design and development, search engine optimization, email marketing and social media services.