Startups face a fiercely competitive market, which is only more competitive today due to the state of the economy. For this reason, it is essential that you have strong marketing strategies in place from the get go, such as search engine optimization and media advertising strategies, that will break through the clutter, and garner the attention of your target market.
When developing the first online marketing strategy for your startup, begin with a clear outline of the goals you would like to accomplish, and then layout a pathway for marketing success. The following is a list of tips to keep in mind when creating a marketing plan that will work best for your startup:
- Focus on the Target Audience. A common mistake that many startups make is creating a search engine optimization strategy that seeks to reach a broad audience. While such a large audience may be interested in your products or services, this generally isn’t the case, especially with a startup. A majority of businesses do better focusing their limited resources on a very specific segment that allows them to first gain some footing in the market. One of the best ways to reach this specified audience is by creating a list of highly targeted keywords to integrate into website content for search engine optimization purposes.
- Build Partnerships. Startups are completely unknown to the public, so it is a good idea to strategically align your company with a brand that will help you to earn some credibility in the eyes of potential customers. Approach those companies that offer products or services that are complimentary to what your business offers, and gain exposure by having them mention you on their website. If they include a link back to your site, which they should, this is great for search engine optimization. Additionally, you can implement a referral fee on both sides, allowing each of you to benefit.
- Participate in Community Outreach. Reaching out to the communities that you plan to do business in can be highly beneficial for your startup. The local newspaper, radio or magazine may be interested in writing a piece on your new venture, giving you free media advertising that can inform and excite community members about the great products or services you will be bringing to the area. Also reach out to local bloggers, making sure to provide them with a referral link in the case that they choose to write a review as this can increase targeted traffic and improve search engine optimization. In addition to free local media advertising, you should also consider sponsoring an event or competition in the community. Events are fun, and can help to increase positive buzz about your business.
- Develop Branded Content. After you have worked with a web designer to create a clean, appealing website design in Scottsdale or wherever your business may be located, you should then focus on development of original content. One of the best ways to provide your customers with valuable branded content is by creating a weekly or bi-weekly blog, sharing your knowledge on industry topics. This shows your customers that you are an expert in your industry, and will help them to build trust in your business. Additionally, maintaining a regular blog allows you to integrate a lot of strategic keywords, which is highly beneficial for search engine optimization purposes. While blogs are a great tool for your startup, keep in mind that they aren’t a typical promotional vehicle. Blogs aren’t written in the same format as media advertising, so avoid promoting your startup’s products and services left and right in an attempt to make a sale. Instead, make sure the content is interesting to read, offering valuable information that is relevant to your target market.
- Create Social Media Accounts. In the current day and age, establishing a strong online presence is essential to success. You should be posting interesting, valuable content on sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, on a regular basis while also making an effort to consistently engage with your customers. Pay attention to the articles and other information you post that receives the most likes, comments and shares, so you are able to see the kind of content that resonates most with your audience. Also, consider offering your followers incentives for sharing your content on their walls or tweeting a link out to their followers. This is a great way to reach additional members of your target audience that may be interested in your products or services. As an added bonus, social signals also are beneficial for search engine optimization.
When creating a marketing plan for your new business, keeping the above tips in mind will help you to get off on the right foot, quickly gaining exposure and targeted traffic to your small business websites.
If you have a startup that is getting ready to launch, it is essential that you have a strategic online marketing plan ready to go. At Fasturtle, a highly reputable online marketing company, we offer a wide range of marketing services that are key to success in today’s marketplace, including search engine optimization, media advertising, website design and logo design in Scottsdale or wherever your business may be located. To learn more about how our talented marketers and designers can help your startup, call Fasturtle at (888) 468-8785 or contact us online.